[Sugar-devel] first-time only issues

Amaan Iqbal amaaniqbal2786 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:55:09 EDT 2019

I meant these trivial tasks should just be for providing confidence to the
newcomers so that they can at least get started. It may be less productive
but will help them keep going.

We can also have a *Suggestions *section on the readme of every repo. I
just thought about this. And there can be a new set of issues on every repo
to come up with 2 specific suggestions, say

   - Come up with an updated look of specific section of an activity/website
   - Come up with a latest idea of some specific functionality
   - Come up with two new feature suggestions for xyz activity/website
   - Find redundant codes etc.

I strongly feel some of the suggestions could be worth having and may be
such that we have not thought about it so far. But overall these will be a
basic reason for the newcomers to go through the code base and start
helping. After having an understanding of the code base, our mission, and
our community, it may be onto them how longer they want to be a part of us.

All in all, there has to be a *Why? *for every question, then only we could
maximize our potential. For instance, if the following Why?'s could be
answered properly, it will mean we are going in right direction otherwise
we need to find the answer to these Why?'s. Some of them are

   - Why should a newcomer contribute?
   - Why should past contributor keep contributing?
   - Why should I learn something new for SugarLabs?

*If none sounds good, I have another idea!*
Can we have a seasonal/monthly/quarterly competition for the newcomers? We
may have SugarLabs T-shirt or some other award for the top 3-5 contributors.
Here newcomers may be defined as anyone with less than 50 commits or so.
Also, SugarLabs T-Shirt will be another reason for Offline Publicity and
hence will encourage the friends of the winners to compete next time.

I find it much more interesting to be honest.

What do you think?
(Any newcomer to sugar-devel, please feel free to share what do you think
about this)

Thanks,
Amaan