[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Separate python version packages for sugar-toolkit-gtk3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 25 19:08:17 EDT 2019

I've reviewed https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

However, sugar-toolkit-gtk3 does not have setup.py method of build and
install, instead we use GNU autotools.

Let's step back and look at the problem again.

We have a completed Port to Python 3, but testing it is very
difficult, because of the large number of careful steps needed to
install the toolkit and other components.

Sugar Labs could provide a packaged toolkit and components, and this
may encourage testing.

A non-goal is to do the packaging _for_ the Fedora, Debian or Ubuntu
projects.  While that would be nice, it may be done by experts later.

Sugar Labs doesn't have the backing of experts in packaging, and when
we reach out for help we don't get results.

Perhaps a quick solution is to write a shell script to make a
python3-sugar3 package containing the same files as the python-sugar3
package, except the /usr/bin files, but moved to the python3
directory.

Then we could provide the .deb files for manual install.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/