[Sugar-devel] Unable to "git clone" on Fedora 18

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Jul 20 04:08:29 EDT 2019

My guess;

HTTPS uses OpenSSL.

Certain OpenSSL protocol versions are now insecure, because they have been broken, or are trivially decoded in flight.

GitHub correctly limits OpenSSL connections to secure protocol versions.

Fedora 18 does not support the modern secure protocol versions.

You may work around this in one of these ways;

- cloning over the GIT protocol,
  git clone git://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore

- using an HTTPS to HTTP proxy,

- bare cloning on another system then preparing the clone for access by a web server, then clone over HTTP from that web server,

- cloning on another system then using scp to copy the directory and contents to the Fedora 18 system,

- exporting your clones over NFS and mounting them on the Fedora 18 system,

- building a more recent OpenSSL for Fedora 18.

Have fun!

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 11:47:16AM +0530, Swarup N wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to setup Sugar v0.114 via native method on Fedora 18.
> I installed git and ran sudo yum update.
> When I try to clone sugar from [1]https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore,
> I get the following error.
>
> error: peer reports incompatible or unsupported protocol version. while
> accessing [2]https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore.git/info/refs?service
> =git-upload-pack
>
> One of the fixes I read online was to run yum update -y nss curl libcurl, but
> that didn't work.
>
> Could anyone guide me on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks

> [1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore
> [2] https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore.git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack

James Cameron