[Sugar-devel] Suggestions for GSoC 2019

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jan 21 12:17:46 EST 2019

Just for some point of correction.

 Sugar Labs Social was never a GSoC project, I don't understand why you
keep bringing it up. Any "coding" project that is related to Sugar Lab's
goals or leads to improvement to the mission is eligible as a  Gsoc project.

Some project requires more than 3 months of coding to be called a
successful project. I just wonder how these decisions are made. Let utilize
the GSoC platform to improve every form of Sugar Labs as much as possible.
Everything is as important as the other.

The current tools we are building how do we measure its success?

Regards

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM Rahul Bothra <rrbothra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 7:44 PM Amaan Iqbal <amaaniqbal2786 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I see we only have 6 projects so far in our Ideas list in comparison to
> 11
> > which were selected in GSoC last year. Being a successful Open Source
> > organization, I sincerely hope we have the potential of having many more
> > projects in GSoC this year(most probably 15+ if we can come up with
> > such promising ideas).
>
> We had 12 projects last year, out of which 1 was failed officially. Many
> projects failed to deliver what was expected out of them, including my
> own.
> Some projects did not involve improving our tools, Sugar Desktop,
> Activities,
> MusicBlocks or Sugarizer, and did add any value to the organisation.
> This was primarily because we had more projects than we could handle,
> and that some projects were not effectively groomed and mentored.
>
> I don't know what a "successful Open Source organisation" means. But I
> don't think we should release more ideas than we can mentor. Having less
> projects does not imply our failure in any sense, lack of existing
> contributors
> might indicate that.
>
> > Here I would suggest an idea for the renovation of our Website, blog
> <http://planet.sugarlabs.org/>, and
> > creation of a customized/integration of existing CMS to our website from
> > where admins can create articles directly.
>
> FWIW, our current website was also implemented as a GSoC Project. I
> don't think it will improve our tools, or if it will actually be
> completed. Past
> examples show that development of such tools (Sugar Social, ASLO v3)
> never got into deployment at the end.
>
> Even if we add a project for improving the website, 2 years down the line
> we might again face a similar email pointing out the drawbacks of the new
> model and another revamping of the website.
>
> Although I would be happy to see contributions made to improve the
> website, I am not in favor of adding this as a GSoC Project.
> FYI, there are plans of A/B testing of the website, though I don't know the
> current status.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul

-------