[Sugar-devel] Need help with setting up development environment on ubuntu

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Fri Jan 11 17:36:58 EST 2019

A search of Ubuntu's packages via their package web interface

  https://packages.ubuntu.com/intltool

shows intltool seems to be a thing.

You can install it, amongst other ways, via

  sudo apt-get install intltool

I don't know if that will be sufficient, or if you'll need to add additional packages.

Generally when developing for Debian or Ubuntu, I start with

  sudo apt-get install build-essential

with build-essential being a meta package that brings in a lot of build dependencies. You may already have them, their having been brought in as dependencies some other way, but it probably wouldn't hurt much.

If you have other tools not found, you may be able to resolve the problem through a similar search as the first one.

Please do continue to report problems, including opening issues if there is something missing from the documentation.

--
Joe

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:32:48AM +0530, Mayank Kaushik wrote:
> Ok so I tried making changes to sugar as well.I tried doing https://github.com/
> sugarlabs/sugar#building but failed at the first step i.e. run autogen.sh.The
> error given is:-
> ./autogen.sh: 11: ./autogen.sh: intltoolize: not found
> ./autogen.sh: 12: ./autogen.sh: autoreconf: not found
> ./autogen.sh: 15: ./autogen.sh: ./configure: not found
>
> Can anyone suggest what I should do next?
> Thankyou.
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:39 AM Mayank Kaushik <manku1299 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Thankyou! It worked.
>
>     On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:08 PM Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
>     wrote:
>
>         On Ubuntu, activities are stored in a system folder: /usr/share/sugar/
>         activities. However any activity can be made local in /home/username/
>         Activities.
>         The activities are written in Python and so changes can be made
>         directly in the source code. The changes can be tested by running the
>         activity. Print statements and error messages are shown by the Log
>         activitiy.
>
>         Tony
>
>         On 1/11/19 11:01 AM, Mayank Kaushik wrote:
>
>             I tried to setup a development environment on ubuntu using https://
>             github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/
>             development-environment.md .On this link I tried the "Packaged
>             Sugar" method but it only has very few activities.I want to test
>             and make changes to memorize activity,please help me with how to
>             get going.
>             Thankyou

Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird
  A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of
  all the features.