[Sugar-devel] GCI task approval

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 6 21:04:31 EST 2019

I agree with Walter.

I've just caught up with today's GCI interactions.

Long rant follows.

There are indeed mentors participating in tasks who have not
contributed in the topical area of the task.  This is especially
important for me in the Sugar tasks, and in the Sugar Labs logo task.
For instance;

* if you have not set up Sugar yourself, don't touch the Set up the
  Sugar Desktop task, (some tasks were approved for setting up
  Sugarizer, and some for only booting a live build and not installing
  it),

* if you have not had graphic design work accepted and used in
  Sugarizer, Sugar, or Music Blocks, please don't touch the logo
  contest, (as far as I've seen, only Perrie has had graphic design
  work accepted, so I'd prefer her to lead this task),

* if you have not completed a Port to Python 3, please don't touch the
  Port to Python 3 tasks,

* if you have not completed a Port to latest Sugargame, please don't
  touch the Sugargame tasks,

You can contribute still by answering off-topic simple questions,
participating in the mailing list and GitHub transactions.

You can join the set of people in a topical area by completing some of
the work yourself.  For instance there are unmet needs for graphic
design to make Sugar icons, to plan coloured activity icons, and the
use of colour in Sugar.

Also, it is unfair to add new conditions to some students and not to
others.  If you add a new condition for approval that is not in the
task description, then please edit the task and add it.  If you find
yourself saying the same things repeatedly to different students, and
the task description doesn't contain the information, then please edit
the task and add it.

Have empathy.  Some students may have reacted in frustration.  We risk
reputational damage.  There are other organisations the students can
engage with.

Walter, please look for any mentors who are getting all these things
wrong in every interaction with a student ... they ought to be
reviewed by the organisation administrators and removed.  ;-)

On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 03:49:32PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> I have noticed several times in the past 24 hours that tasks have
> been approved y mentors when the work is clearly inadequate. This is
> unacceptable for reasons I need not explain.
>
> 1: If you are not a regular contributor to the topical area of the
> task, you should not be mentoring that task and certainly should not
> be approving work.
> 2. There is no #2.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter