[Sugar-devel] Participating in Google Code-In

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Dec 1 16:25:21 EST 2019

Welcome Abhay.  Nice game, thanks.  Well done for a first time.

I've a few suggestions, in no particular order;

1.  the game initially starts with the snake moving very quickly. but
slows down on the first change of direction; perhaps it should start
at the speed that it means to go on with,

2.  someone who has never used the game may find it a struggle to
understand what to do; perhaps add some instructions or demonstration
at the beginning, before starting the game.  If you do this, write and
design for a small child who is yet to read.

3.  add copyright and license; something like GPLv3+ would be very
welcome,

4.  review other snake games and borrow features, have a look at
https://github.com/sugarlabs/hfoss-sugar-snake

5.  add the Sugar wrapper for PyGame, so that the game can be bundled
and run as a Sugar activity, have a look at
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugargame

6.  let the game operate in full screen, and adjust the snake and
apple sizes to proportions of the full screen size; at the moment the
game runs in a 640x480 VESA size window, which on a large high
resolution display is very small,

7.  the CPU use is very high, which leads to energy loss, low battery
and cooling fans; in turn this is because of (a) the frame rate, (b)
no dirty rectangle management, and (c) competition with lots of
Terminal output caused by print(running, points).

Humans find 25 to 50 frames per second acceptable for these types of
games.

Dirty rectangle management is a technique where only the parts of the
screen that have changed are updated instead of using flip.  You can
find how to manage dirty rectangles in our Sugargame test activity;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugargame/blob/master/test/TestGame.py

Removing the print is easy.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/