[Sugar-devel] Having issues connecting to IRC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Aug 12 17:07:02 EDT 2019

Bans can be by IP address or the reverse resolved host name of the
address.

In future if this happens again;

1.  avoid repeatedly connecting, as this may increment a counter in
a defense system making the host name banned for longer,

2.  use an IRC client program rather than a web service; this will use
the IP address of your internet service instead of the IP address of
the web gateway,

3.  try a different internet service; this should give you a different
IP address that may not be banned, although that depends on the width
of the ban,

4.  disconnect, turn off, and turn on your internet service; this
may give you a different IP address which may not be banner, (this is
only practical if you have control of your service, and any other
users of your service are notified),

5.  try a virtual private network (VPN) service; this will give you a
different IP address,

6.  try again next day or next week; the ban may have expired if it
hasn't been extended (see #1).

Note that actions #3, #4, and #5 should be preceeded by action #2.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 05:58:37PM +0100, Favour Kelvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having issues connecting to IRC channel ,Got an error message that my host
> name is banned ,have been trying to connect for the past 45 minutes to no
> avail.
>
> Summary of my last week work
> For this week
> Attempted building a desktop app using electron
> [1]https://github.com/sugarlabs/musicblocks/pull/1819
>
> Also added promises to timeout in pitchtimematrix
> [2]https://github.com/sugarlabs/musicblocks/pull/1821
>
> Here is my blog
> [3]https://medium.com/@favourkelvin17/week-11-d8f4fcf694f6
>
> For this week
> Am going to continue on devTools analysis using performance tab

> [1] https://github.com/sugarlabs/musicblocks/pull/1819
> [2] https://github.com/sugarlabs/musicblocks/pull/1821
> [3] https://medium.com/@favourkelvin17/week-11-d8f4fcf694f6

James Cameron