[Sugar-devel] Project Porting Telepathy Bindings

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Apr 5 02:18:32 EDT 2019

Welcome Habeeb.

We have a project idea for GSoC for porting to Python 3, which
contains the port from Telepathy static bindings to TelepathyGLib.

	https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/blob/master/Ideas-2019.md#port-sugar-and-core-activities-to-python-3

We've been tracking this subset of the porting on this GitHub project;

	https://github.com/orgs/sugarlabs/projects/4

The above contains several merged pull requests, in the column "Done".
Commits within these pull requests give a very detailed view of the
work done so far.

You can also see the pull requests in progress, and issues for some of
those yet to be done.

There are also activities that need porting that have no issue yet.

In general, this porting requires;

* ability to install and run Sugar, on multiple virtual machines or
  laptops, in order to test the Sugar collaboration feature,

* network programming debugging skills,

Very beneficial would be;

* ability to read through Telepathy source code, which is written in
  C,

* ability to enable Telepathy debug logging features,

* using tcpdump or dbus-monitor to check theories.

You can find guidance for how to contribute to Sugar Labs here;

	https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/