[Sugar-devel] Meeting Log

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Sep 16 22:42:30 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 02:33:52PM +0100, Ojemeh Peace Ozioma wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here is the log for today's meeting:
> [1]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Meetings/2018-09-15

Thanks.

Sorry, I couldn't make it.  I was travelling and didn't realise that
the meeting was on that date.  Now I see you said the second Friday of
the month.  You might mention the date in your next announcement.

I've reviewed the log, and have some comments;

The horse is in front of the cart; Perrie and Jaskirat speak as if the
design team is for creating new features or improving existing
features.  That's not how we have worked at Sugar Labs.  Features are
proposed more generally, and the design team is for coordinating the
developers when developers ask for coordination.  We have a weekly
development team meeting each week on #sugar-meeting, and can handle
feature discussions there already.

Please do not restrict new features to this new design team.  New
features are to come from developers, learners, teachers, and
integrators.  Use the Issues in GitHub.  Use the Features pages in the
Wiki.  Only if coordination is needed should a design team be needed.
Add the [DESIGN] tag to subject line on mailing list.

Walter's changes to the toolbars don't need much coordination yet;
next steps are to prepare a mock-up, discuss on mailing list, work out
what software components must change, and then begin the change.

Jaskirat wants the icons to match Microsoft Windows; again this
doesn't need much coordination yet; please prepare a mock-up, discuss
on mailing list, add an icon theme choice to My Settings, and add the
new theme to Sugar Artwork component.

Perrie wants to fix the font sizes and widget styles for large
displays.  This is a bug not a feature.  Use the Issues in GitHub.
Please make the changes to gtk-widgets.css files, test, and create a
new pull request in GitHub for Sugar Artwork component.

Above all, don't expect other people to develop your feature for you;
you will likely have to do it yourself.  Only exceptional features
with much interest will have volunteers joining in to develop.  Hiding
an unpopular and not agreed feature inside GSoC project or GCI task is
no substitute for transparency, and will often not be merged.

The later discussion about the Sugar Labs logo shouldn't be part of
the design team; it's not a developer issue, and doesn't need
developer coordination.  Please use the marketing team, or if they
don't respond, use the iaep and sugar-devel mailing lists to get wide
community input.  Confining the discussion to this design team will
bring up complaints about not consulting widely enough.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/