[Sugar-devel] GCI mentoring and task ideas

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:40:42 EDT 2018

Thank you for volunteering to mentor in Google Code-in 2018. Sugar Labs has
submitted its application and we should be hearing back shortly (September
18) from Google as to whether or not we are accepted into the program. At
that point I can formally send out the mentor invitations.

Most of you are experienced at both contributing to Sugar Labs and the GCI
program. It is really important that those of you who are new to Sugar
learn a bit about how the community works and how to make a contribution
(typically a pull request in the context of GCI.) Without some experience,
it is not appropriate to be a mentor.

As you probably know, the first thing we need to do is put together our
task list. The categories are slightly different this year:  coding,
documentation, training, outreach, research, quality assurance, and design.
Design is its own category.

As you come up with task ideas, please keep in mind how difficult the task
is (the range is typically 3 to 5 days). Larger tasks should be broken up
into more bite-sized chunks if possible. Also think about what might make a
suitable beginner task. (Ideally beginner tasks include learning a skill
that will enable engagement in more sophisticated tasks down the road.)

It would be great, even if you are not interested in mentoring, if you
could contribute task ideas, especially those of you close to Sugar
deployments -- hint to Pacita :)

We cannot make the tasks public yet, so let's accumulate our ideas in a
shared Google doc for now. (Ibiam will invite you all in a separate email.)

Note that the contest runs from Oct 23, 2018 - Dec 12, 2018 this year.

GCI is my favorite event of the year. Let's make it a great experience
again this year.

regards.

-walter

PS The wiki page [1] needs some love.