[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Deployment of ASLOv3

Jatin Dhankhar dhankhar.jatin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:16:48 EDT 2018

> I'm confused by your question, and have doubts as to success of your
> plan.

You are right to doubt me, given that also3 is still not functional

 You've made a replacement for the currently working production service

activities.sugarlabs.org?  How much of the function is replaced?  All,
or only some?
Only some.

How would you like an activity maintainer to communicate the Sugar
> version to aslo-v3?  activity.info file?

For new versions of activities, if it can be done. Any heuristics to guess
correct sugar version for old versions and activities.

> How does an activity maintainer;
> (a) include an activity, or;

(b) exclude an activity?

 By creating a release. No mechanism to exclude (expect from not releasing
it)

> How is a bundle supplied as part of release?

By attaching it in the release.
https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries/

 Is it hard, or is it that UI and UX are something that many people can

have an opinion on?  ;-)
Latter is the main reason and not just restricted to frontend.

Which activities don't have SVG icons?

My bad. All activities have svg icons. We are using Imgur for hosting
images which sadly doesn't have support for svg, so we are converting the
as base64 encoded icons inside db. They look ugly though.

> "Activities".

Noted, just "Activities"

Sugar Labs has servers.  I'm not concerned about _where_ the site is
> hosted, except that it should be under the control of Sugar Labs.  The
> performance will rely on all the resources of the site being either
> embedded or on the same server.

It's still hosted on sugar labs servers. I was talking about self hosting
the javascript.

> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2017 "Maintenance of
> activities.sugarlabs.org (ASLO)" was what I thought you had begun
> working on.  ;-)

Yes, I started with that in mind :sweat_smile:

There are lots of changes that need to be addressed.
 I say, start with a issue, discuss solutions and start implementing, with
a biweekly deadline ?
If anyone like to address some issues or suggest solutions, please do so.
Vipul is working on the frontend fixes.

Thanks,
Jatin Dhankhar