[Sugar-devel] Deployment of ASLOv3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Sep 2 17:25:33 EDT 2018

Thanks.  Good progress.  Some issues;

- a transition plan is needed, to explain how to handle the Fedora 18
  systems running Sugar 0.112 and earlier,

- how to list the compatible Sugar versions for an activity release?
  activities.sugarlabs.org asks for this when uploading an activity,
  and it works well with the Browse presentation of Sugar version
  through the user agent string,

  https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo/blob/master/site/app/config/core.php#L224
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity/blob/master/browser.py#L672

- how to handle activities like Tam Tam, Fortune Hunter, Wikipedia and
  soon Turtle Art, where the git repository makes more than one
  activity bundle?

- how to handle activities like Browse, Measure, Speak, and Record,
  where non-master branches are used to make bundles compatible with
  different systems,

- many activities are missing; e.g. Record,

- an activity version number is not shown; workaround is to hover over
  the download link, but this doesn't work in Browse because the link
  URL is not shown,

- activity version is out of date; e.g. Read download is of 119, but
  latest release is 121, what happened to 120?

- blurred icons; these are embedded PNG instead of SVG, and so when
  they scale up they blur,

- changing the orange tags button does nothing to the current result
  set, and there's no view by tag,

- page title is "Software Center | SugarLabs"; (a) don't think
  "Software Center" is the right name; was there consensus?  (b) this
  must be internationalised for more languages than "es" and "hi", and
  (c) "SugarLabs" should be "Sugar Labs",

- in the detail view, the icons for the headings are too close to the
  text, e.g. "<spiky circle>Activity" and "<pancake stack>Details",

- in the detail view, "License" should be "Licenses" for those
  many activities with multiple license scenario,

- at the bottom of the page, the links to "Sugar Labs", "Development",
  and "Resources" do not work,

- the general layout of the page is unlike the other services at Sugar
  Labs, as if there is no central theme,

- Browse on Fedora 18 reports several instances of "Cross-origin
  script load denied by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy.", and
  the page does not finish loading,

- many off-site resources are used; such as
  https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mdbootstrap/4.3.2/js/mdb.min.js
  these must be local so as to avoid multiple DNS queries, to allow
  port proxied use, and to pipeline requests.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you need any clarification.

For interest, an automated publishing tool for
activities.sugarlabs.org is available at
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-tools/blob/master/activity-publish

This tool decreases the time between "git tag vN" and activity
available for download to a few seconds, and leverages our existing
infrastructure.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/