[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] Meeting Reminder

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 18:36:35 EDT 2018

I put instructions on how to register on Freenode in the wiki (as part of a
landing page for every GCI task.) I am assuming people will be able to
manage. As for SLOB meetings, the regulars also should be able to manage.

(We've discussed before about using Sugar chat -- dogfooding -- for our
meetings. I'd be game.)

-walter

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> At the moment the issue with Freenode requires all of us to register
> before we can speak.
>
> This impacts new people.  It makes their joining as complicated as any
> other service with registration requirements.
>
> As D. Joe has observed, if we had our people watching, we could notice new
> people to let them speak.  We would need to enable this, and somehow cover
> the different time zones.  As we don’t have enough coverage now to answer
> the simplest questions from the people we have, we would need some
> commitment.  That would be the next step in that plan.
>
> I don’t know of any other service we could use that doesn’t require some
> sort of registration.
>
> We might set up an IRC server ourselves, but then we take on the defence
> problem that Freenode does for us.
>
> We do have a Jabber server, but I don’t know if it has been attacked in
> the same way.
>
> On 5 Oct 2018, at 07:38, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We will be meeting tomorrow (Friday, 5 October) at 20UTC [1] (4PM in
> Boston) on irc.freenode.net #sugar-meeting (See [2]).
>
> Note that there has been a SPAM issue on Freenode of late (See the email
> from James I have forwarded below). We should discuss potential solutions.
>
> Also on the agenda:
>
> * GSoC travel
> * GCI 2018
> * [your topic here]