[Sugar-devel] ASLO shut down target date? (was: licensing question)

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri May 25 20:04:47 EDT 2018

Hi, Dave

I appreciate the attempt to discuss this issue.

My take is that James is reflecting his view that there is no difference
between Sugar and a Sugar activity - they all get built together. I am
ignorant of the benefit of using Debian or Fedora packaging. The xo
bundle is a zip file and is not dependent on packaging. This may have
some benefit in building SOAS.
By the way I mean 'live' as in a live cd which can be booted without
touching the host or used for installation.

For the past decade, Sugar builds have been released with a selected set
of activities. Normally the set in OLPC builds has included as many
activities as there was room on the XO (fewer on XO-1 than the other
models).  This apparently from an assumption that once distributed,
users have no opportunity to add new activities.

Actually, ASLO provided that capability. However, the XOs in Peru and
Uruguay (by a deliberate use of the root password to prevent it) did not
have realistic access to ASLO.

When I volunteered in Nepal, it was immediately obvious that the limited
storage of the XO required a school server - a local computer with
content that can be downloaded to the Journal as desired and then
deleted when not needed. So one of the requirements was to provide a
local version of ASLO (http://schoolserver/sugaractivitie). This has
been available for several years.

This year I decided on a major project to update this capability by
fixing broken activities and providing as rich a library as possible.
The priority changed with the release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which does not
support gtk2. Fortunately Gtk3 is essentially syntactic sugar requiring
no logical changes to the activities. I suspect that gtk2 activities
which work on an XO also work on Sugar with Ubuntu 16.04 - but the LTS
feature is compelling for dealing with the problem.

The entire ALSO library including all activities in the github repo
requires only 5GB. With a current laptop with an Ubuntu installation,
this can easily be installed on the local computer (I use
/home/username/aslolite). This is a powerful opportunity - every
activity is available to be fixed, making a new version level. It is
easy to write scripts to test every activity for conformance to
standards (e.g. which activities use class instead of exec or are gtk2
or web or Gtk3).

In my experience about 50% of the activities do not work. This platform
provides a base for quickly testing activities on an XO and recording
whether they work or not and providing some comment about the problem. I
used the platform to test the xo bundles created from the github repos.
The ratio of 103/191 fits this experience.

Tony