[Sugar-devel] Meeting #2 of the project Setting up activity server.

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Sun May 6 21:20:08 EDT 2018

I read the log and didn't see any discussion of either an activity
server or a WikiPort. Most of the discussion seems to focus on
'activity.info'.

I interpret https://github.com/sugar-activities as an attempt to provide
a separate place for Sugar activity repositories based on
download.sugarlabs.org/activities. The number of activities mentioned is
consistent with the current content of ASLO. (see
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/activities/)

A simple python script can process the activity.info in activity bundles
very quickly. Simply download every activity bundle and then use import
zipfile to read the activity.info file and check it for whatever is
interesting. I generally use ls -1 *.xo > list to create a file. The
python script can easily form a list of activities from this file.

Our primary goal must be to provide information and support for our
users and prospective users. There is no reason for a user ever to know
that there is an activity.info file or indeed an Activities folder. The
original design provides the information needed for Sugar to register
and execute the activity within the activity.py framework. In this
spirit, the repository link should join the website link on ASLO where
it is visible to the user.

In the spirit of view source, wouldn't it be helpful to have
documentation giving the  user a map of Sugar and the role of the
various modules? This could start with the information in activity.py.
(/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar3/activity/activity.py). This
could lead in to James Simmons description of how to make a Sugar
activity. The Hello World activity could be used as intended - as the
simplest example. The problem with the wiki pages is not the mark up
method but the organization and content.

Our priority task is to clean up ASLO. The activity version in ASLO
needs to be released from the github repository with a meaningful
version number (an integer not a real number). The activities need to be
tested to see that they work in the Ubuntu 18.04 environment as well as
in 13.2.9. We need to have a clear picture of the activities which are
not working and the cause. It may be necessary to have different
versions for Ubuntu and for 13.2.9. As well there may have to be
different versions for the Intel processors and the Arm processors. ASLO
needs to be modified to accommodate that need. There are activities
which probably should be dropped. The Java activity works well but is
not an activity. It installs Java - a one-time execution.

We also need to remember that the XO has very limited storage. It is
essential that the installed activity not be git enabled. Currently the
Browse activity not only downloads and installs an activity, it leaves a
copy of the bundle in the Journal. This doubles the storage cost of an
activity. It burdens our user with the need to switch to the Journal and
erase the bundle. As developers we need to ask what is the effect a
proposed change have on the size of the installed activity. Currently
13.2.9 installed on an XO-1 or on a 2GB XO-1.5 gives the user about
300MB of available storage.

Tony