[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2018 Alexandru Mihai

Utkarsh Tiwari iamutkarshtiwari at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 08:33:10 EST 2018

Hi Alex,

I'd suggest you to try fixing a small issue or add a small feature to
existing GTK activities. Once you get a hang of the activity skeleton, you
can start migrating the activities to GTK3.

For a start I think this is a good place -
https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=accepted&status=reopened&component=Sugar&order=priority

But before that you need to setup the development environment -
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md

Regards,
Utkarsh Tiwari

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 at 10:58 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Alex Cosmin Mihai <
> alexcosmin.mihai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> My name is Alexandru Mihai (irc handle: alex_mihai) and I am a second
>> year student at Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Science at
>> University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania. I am currently pursuing a
>> bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering.
>>
>> I got in contact with Sugar Labs for the first time last December when I
>> first joined the IRC channel and mailing list and I am willing to
>> participate in Google Summer of Code 2018. I would love to do so with Sugar
>> Labs because I believe that your mission is very noble and that I can gain
>> a lot of software development/engineering knowledge from you.
>>
>> So far I have submitted a small change
>> <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/pull/134> to the documentation
>> regarding the environment setup instructions for Fedora and I have started
>> learning how to use PyGtk especially for Sugar.
>>
>> I have good knowledge of OOP concepts and I am familiar with Python,
>> although my most used programming languages are C++ and Java.
>>
>> So far, I believe that I would like the most to work on either the *GTK-4
>> exploration or* *Just say no to GTK2 *project ideas. I am ready to
>> better learn JavaScript (with which I have little experience) if it is
>> needed and I am sure that by summer I will be able to do this.
>>
>> Here are links to my github page and my resume:
>>
>> https://github.com/alexandrucosminmihai
>>
>> Resume
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/sr4jidrkhrggmm3/Mihai%20Alexandru%20Cosmin%20-%20R%C3%A9sum%C3%A9.pdf?dl=0>
>>
>> I would like to ask any available mentors, if possible, for guidance on
>> what I should do next.
>>

> Maybe try your hand at migrating an activity to GTK3 to get a feel for the
> activities?
>
> regards.
>
> -walter
>

>> Thank you!