[Sugar-devel] Porting to Python 3: GSoC 2019

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Dec 31 10:42:05 EST 2018

This 'ideas list' is hard to follow:

The criteria are excellent. Howver there appears to be only one idea,
not a list.

The idea is to port Sugar to Python 3 - this seems to be a necessity
-not an idea. However, the description seems to limit this idea to
porting only the telepathy interface to Python 3.

I had understood that the underlying idea was to implement the
'collabwrapper'  and that activity developers can then replace the
collaboration code with this toolkit capability. In this way the Python
3 port would be only coded once and reused in several activities.

It would seem prudent to inventory the activities that need this
capability - my guess is on the order of a dozen out of 400+. Such an
inventory would enable prioritization and an evaluation of the ability
of the collabwrapper to provide a common api.

Tony