[Sugar-devel] welcoming the new Sugar Labs oversight board members

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:23:47 EST 2018

I hope everyone is well. We are in a seasonal transition -- winter has
begun in the north and summer in the south. I wanted to convey holiday
greetings to everyone in the community and also to provide some updates:

* We have a new oversight board. Welcome to James Cameron, Alex Perez, and
Devin Ulibarri. Lionel Laske and I were reelected to our seats. Claudia
Urrea and Samson Goddy will be completing their two-year terms in 2019. I
think we have a very strong group, with demonstrable dedication to Sugar
Labs and its mission and I look forward to having a very productive (and
fun) year.

* Many thanks to Adam, Sameer, and Ignacio, all three of whom have
dedicated many years of effort to the project and the community. Your
contributions are appreciated.

* James will be taking over for me as chair of the oversight board meetings
-- he runs a much better meeting than I do and I think it will be a change
for the better in terms of making us a more efficient organization, able to
make more thoughtful decisions more quickly.

* James will also be replacing Adam as the Sugar Labs liaison to the
Software Freedom Conservancy. I know he will offer a level of
professionalism that will hopefully lead to clear and timely communication
between our organizations.

A few heads up:

* Devin and I head to Japan to run some Music Blocks workshops in early
January as part of an ongoing effort to reach elementary schools throughout
the country. It has been going really well so far and I have high hopes
that this little bit of Sugar will be used and enjoyed widely.

* Rahul Bothra is helping to organize a new set of landing pages for Google
Summer of Code. I anticipate that Sugar Labs will be applying again this
year and we are striving to be more organized than in years past.

* The winners of the Google Code-in contest will be announce in two weeks
by Google. We had some fantastic contributions this year. Thank you for all
the help with organizing (Ibiam), mentoring, and participation.

Make sure to spend some time with family over these short (or long) days.

regards.

-walter
--
Walter Bender