[Sugar-devel] freenode spam measures

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Fri Aug 24 10:58:15 EDT 2018

The channels also need the +n mode set, to prevent nicks from sending direct messages into the channel even when those nicks are connected to the network but are not registered nor joined to the channel.

Channel modes can be set by channel operators ephemerally, but channel services can enforce certain modes, apparently, to make these modes more persistent.

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/channelmodes

Apparently in #sugar the 'n' mode has been blocked with ChanServ using SET MLOCK

13:41 <dzho> info #sugar
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Information on #sugar:
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Founder    : walterbender, freenode-staff
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Registered : Dec 03 01:41:24 2008 (9y 38w 0d ago)
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Mode lock  : -n
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- URL        : http://sugarlabs.org/
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Flags      : GUARD
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- The #sugar namespace is registered to the sugar project
13:41 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- *** End of Info ***

I don't have deep enough experience with MLOCK to offer a definitive recipe for clearing that but ChanServ's output from the 'help set mlock' command offers what look to be several good examples.

I don't know if locking modes 'n' and 'r' are what we want now or not, but at the very least I think we need to have the '-n' mode lock cleared so that ops can set +n in the channel day-to-day.

--
Joe

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 09:42:52AM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> Unfortunately, if seems some spammers are still in the channel. Investigating.
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:00 AM Vipul Gupta <vipulgupta2048 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     +1 many groups have implemented for the same.
>     On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:05 PM Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     > Our primary channels on Freenode are now set to + r which means only
>     "registers" users can post. This should take care of the spam issue, but
>     will inconvenience some users.
>     >
>     > To register on Freenode,
>     >
>     > /msg NickServ REGISTER password youremail at example.com
>     >
>     > regards.
>     >
>     > -walter
>     > --
>     > Walter Bender
>     > Sugar Labs
>     > http://www.sugarlabs.org
>     >
>     > Sugar-devel mailing list
>     > Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
>

>     --
>     Cordially,
>     Vipul Gupta
>     Mixster | Github
>

> --
> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird
  A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of
  all the features.