[Sugar-devel] Public vs Private, for GSoC mentors and participants

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:36:17 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 5:33 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> As release manager for Sugar, my goal is to maximise the contributions
> so that Sugar is improved.
>
> At this time there is a risk of mistakes due to groupthink.
>
> Especially so as we have four participants working on two of the same
> Sugar Labs projects; Rudra and Vipul on migration, and Rahul and Anmol
> on porting to Python 3.

FWIW, Vipul is will be working on further cleaning up of the git repos in
support of the new activity server. His work will depend in part on the
work of Rudra, in that he'll glean some descriptions and screenshots from
the data that Rudra migrates from the wiki. He is working on a new
timeline, which he will be sharing with devel to vet.

> Therefore, please keep separate your GSoC project management and
> mentoring from the Sugar Labs projects.
>
> When any of you begin to discuss a topic, first decide whether the
> topic is private to a GSoC project, or is instead best for the
> wider audience of the Sugar Labs project.  If you're not sure, ask.
>

> Topics that should be public;
>
> - which work must be done before other work, for technical reasons,
>
> - release plans,
>
> - patch reviews,
>
> - testing,
>
> - regressions,
>
> - coordinating with other people working on the same project.
>

> Topics that can be private;
>
> - coordinating meetings with mentors,
>
> - exactly when you plan to do something; your project schedule,
>
> - planned absences,
>
> - assessment of progress,
>
> - decisions to invest in learning new technologies,
>
> - clearly embarrassing questions.
>

> Hope you can see that these private topics have no direct relation to
> the Sugar Labs projects.
>
> For projects directly affecting Sugar (such as migration, porting to
> Python 3, porting to GTK+ 3) our weekly developers meeting can be used
> for synchronous discussions.

> asynchronous discussions.
>
> This subtlety is intended to strengthen community.  The temptation to
> act in private should be resisted.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/