[Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.112 on Fedora 28 SoaS

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 04:34:03 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:31:39PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> We're in Beta freeze for Fedora 28.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Our How To install Sugar on Fedora is here;
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/fedora.md
>
>> We have Sugar 0.112, there's
>> nightly images for the various architectures at the URLs below. Please
>> test so we don't end up in a situation like last cycle where people
>> were testing at the last moment before release.
>>
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub//fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/x86_64/iso/
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/armhfp/images/
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/development/28/Spins/i386/iso/
>
> These links very unreliable; have to keep hitting them until the
> redirector leads me to an up to date mirror.
>
> I've tested Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28-20180312.n.0.iso and
> updated the How To ... 01941aa.
>
> Most of Sugar works, as do the included activities.
>
> Issues were;
>
> - the Write activity flickers, due to AbiWord event handling flaw,
>   Sugar Labs #4915, Fedora #1287835, AbiSource #13791, with Debian and
>   Ubuntu carrying my patch,

I did look at that patch at some point but I don't remember why it wasn't added.

> - the Paint activity starts but the mouse does not draw on the canvas,
>   we have a fix committed but not yet released, and the fix is
>   effective on Fedora 28,
>   https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/commit/a8828f162606b6eed847b0444f156ac1c95b6866
>   https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/issues/29

Pushed.

> - the Words activity fails to start, citing PyGObject Namespace WebKit
>   not available, for 3.0, we have a fix committed but not yet
>   released, and the fix is effective on Fedora 28,
>   https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/commit/ae8ccca439f34f99df6fb7a34313ab57af9e5e9e
>   https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/issues/12

Its looks like that patch was already in the 22 we had, I've pushed 23 anyway

> - the Ruler activity fails to start, with a Cairo assertion and
>   SIGABRT, https://github.com/sugarlabs/ruler/issues/4
>
> - My Settings (control panel) - Network does not render, traceback
>   says PyGObject Namespace NMClient not available, workaround is to
>   hit escape,
>   http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/z/1evdqY.txt
>
> - My Settings - Software Update offers Memorize-52 to -53, Clock-19 to
>   -20, and Pippy-66 to -71, so these are likely packaging lag,
>
> - for each activity, the activity toolbar description entry icon is
>   not rendered,

Is there a bug for this?

> - after testing each activity once, there were about 3283
>   PyGIDeprecationWarning messages written to logs.

Is there a tracking bug for this?

> Installing Fedora Workstation was very slow, and it performed poorly
> once installed, especially logging in, logging out, and using the
> GNOME desktop.  I wasn't able to identify a cause for delays.

What sort of HW, it's not really related to Sugar TBH but there's
known issues with low resourced devices. Hack fest in May to hopefully
deal with most of it:
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Hackfests/Performance2018

> Performance of Sugar desktop was normal.
>
>> One thing to note is there will be a newer CSound package landing
>> shortly, it's been upgraded from 6.03 to the latest 6.10 and I've no
>> idea if the API has changed and if it will affect any of the
>> Activities using it. You'll be able to testing by doing a "dnf
>> upgrade" once booted.
>
> Not to worry, none of the activities in SoaS import csound.

Memorize use to depend on it, seems that has since changed.