[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOB] Motion regarding xo-computer icon

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Sep 16 09:22:14 EDT 2017

On 15/09/17 09:12, Walter Bender wrote:
> (A2) Sugar Artwork, including the xo-computer icon, is currently
> licensed under the GPL and we would like our downstream users to be
> able to use all of our artwork under the terms of that license. As far
> as the use of any trademark image outside of the context of Sugar, we
> have no opinion.

There is a (hopefully not intentional?) flaw in this answer. The board
was in a rush to pass the motion, but it should be more careful when
communicating with our legal counsel.

SLOBs, please clarify:

    "(...) we would like our downstream users to be able to use all of
    our artwork under the terms of that license (GPL)"

Sugar Labs does not distribute Sugar to end users. Instead it
distributes Sugar to distributors (Debian, Fedora) who have their own
downstream projects (OLPC, Trisquel, Ubuntu). In turn these
distributions are often bundled with hardware vendors products or local
service provider's services: *These last groups are the most threatened
by a potential Trademark dispute.**
*
Does restricting the answer to "users" mean Sugar Labs Oversight Board
does not care about these actor's freedoms?

Please also clarify:

    "As far as the use of any trademark image outside of the context of
    Sugar, we have no opinion. "

This is contradictory with the previous statement. The terms of the GPL
provide for licensees to be able to use the source for /any purpose./ A
Trademarked logo cannot be used for any purpose. This is basically the
legal reason to keep any Trademark out of the Sugar User Interface. /
/
Regards and happy Software Freedom Day to all,

Sebastian