[Sugar-devel] Issue compiling

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Oct 1 20:57:37 EDT 2017

G'day Andrew,

My guess is that you ran one of the previous steps as root, or that
there is something newly incompatible between your distribution and
sugar-build.

For my former guess; remove everything and try again, but this time
do not use root.

For my latter guess; tell us your operating system distribution
version.  You said in IRC that it was latest Ubuntu, but there are
several latest Ubuntu at the moment; is it 16.04 plus updates, 17.04,
or the beta 17.10?

Thanks for reporting the problem.  You're right that the tutorial
needs to be updated.

I've removed sugar-build from the examples, because it uses Fedora 23
as the chroot, which went end of life late in 2016 and is unsupported.

I've added a Sugar Live Build as an alternative development
environment.

I've fixed the problem you reported in IRC about `Makefile.in`
missing.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/commit/3b9174dbcc7cee02fb286062e7d87b15e812799c

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/dev-environment.md

It should eventually be updated in
https://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html
but as it hasn't happened yet my guess is the update hook is broken.

I've also added references to the Wiki pages, and the page for Ubuntu
will be most useful to you;

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Ubuntu

You don't need sugar-runner, and it isn't packaged for Ubuntu anyway.

I've also moved the sugar-build example into the README file in the
sugar-build repository.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-build/commit/8bc5fe44bb646cf3da861ef5aa70bd4315ca51af
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-build/blob/master/README.md

Hope that helps!

On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 05:10:52PM +0100, Andrew Carton wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to compile sugar in a chroot environment like the example
> gives.
>
> I get this error.. Can someone help?
>
> ./osbuild shell
> id: cannot find name for user ID 1001
> id: cannot find name for group ID 1001
> id: cannot find name for user ID 1001
>
> /bin/bash: /home/broot/.bash_profile: Permission denied
> /bin/bash: /home/broot/sugar-build/osbuild: Permission denied
>
> Failed to run command shell

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/