[Sugar-devel] New ASLO Project Definition

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu May 18 21:19:42 EDT 2017

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the proposal. Naturally this raises the question of the
relationship between your ASLOv3 and the GSOC project. Do you see two
parallel implementations or a merger of the two projects?

I agree with your proposal to install the activity repositories in
https://github.com/sugar-activities/. Combining 600+ repositories in
with the Sugar core repositories seems unmanageable. Someone would need
to create this community on github. This needs to be decided quickly so
the repostiroies are in place to support ASLO. We have to get past
Walter saying this is what we are doing and James Cameron saying no
decision has been made.

Some more detailed comments on the proposal:

*Actors and use cases*

I think there is a fourth, very important actor, the deployer. The
deployer needs to configure a laptop installation but does not have the
technical skills to build an image. A practical solution is to flash a
prebuilt image (e.g. 13.2.8) and then update the activity configuration
as needed. The best help we could provide for the developer is a network
install capability from the institution's lan.

Since James Cameron (and possibly Jonas Smedegaard) are the only image
builders I know of, it seems hard to justify automation. Perhaps the
scope of the 'update url' should be shifted to providing a build system
that creates a Sugar image for various target systems.

*Workflows*

1. The other requirement is for an 'owner' to create the repository.
This is analogous to the current procedure in ASLO.
2. I think the event should be 'new version released'. I am a git newbie
(actually an old dog having trouble with new tricks) but I think git
practice is to signal a release by creating a branch. This creation
could generate the signal.
3. On the ASLO side, I think the information needs to be in
activity.info. If this is done ASLO side, then the published bundle will
not match the repository. If all of the information is in activity.info
(or other file in the activity/ directory), the developer would have
complete control over it.
3. I assume tar files are used in xol bundles. So far these are not
published on ASLO. I think xol bundles should be handled independently
of ASLO.

Tony