[Sugar-devel] [wiki bug] Roadmap Sugar Labs - Ambiguity detected on how to make Decisions

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun May 7 22:59:57 EDT 2017

G'day Laura,

No, I don't think your suggestion is the best fix.  It can and should
be much simpler.

Words spoken (or typed) during a meeting do not become a motion until
there exists both a proposer and seconder from among the members of
the oversight board.

You should instead welcome non-member proposals at the time of a
meeting; but require both a proposer and seconder from among the
members of the board.

The board should never prevent itself from talking about something.

A meeting chairperson has the duty to remind those in the meeting
what the rules are.  Where there is no chairperson, all members of the
board have that duty.

What I see most of all is poor form of meeting procedure; which in
other parliaments is handled by;

- the chair making it clear when a motion is proposed, and who
  proposed it,

- the chair making it clear when a motion is seconded,

- not allowing talk on a motion until it is seconded,

- not allowing a change to the motion unless the change is both
  proposed and seconded,

- initiation, education and preparation of the board members.

These form the rules of order.

But I do not think these rules are appropriate for your board; they
are intended for environments where conflict is used to delay and
prevent decision-making.

The members of the board have "a major problem with conflict
resolution and consensus building," (sverma) and adding rules won't
fix this.  On the contrary, adding rules creates more conflict; a
weapon of procedure.

Please instead build trust.

Disclosure: I'm not a member of the board, and I'm not a member of
Sugar Labs.  I'm a third-party with a commercial interest in the
success of Sugar.