[Sugar-devel] Minor update to Make Your Own Sugar Activities!

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:25:26 EDT 2017

All,

I only meant to make the manual actually tell where we currently put our
code repositories, without rewriting the whole chapter. (I had hoped that a
Google Code-In mentee might do that, but it didn't happen). The one piece
of information that is still lacking is how to have your account added to
the sugarlabs organization. That happened so long ago that I forgot how it
happened. If someone could remind me I'll add that information to the note.

I haven't done any Sugar development in years but I do program computers
for a living and I use Git in my day job.

Sugar has some good Activities to teach programming, but I don't think it
is a great Activity development platform. For that you really need files
and directories and a command shell, the ability to run Sugar as more than
one user at a time, etc.

I understand the desire to use Sugar for everything, but I think it would
always get in the way. You wouldn't expect to be able to develop an iphone
app on an iphone, or at least I wouldn't.

If I wanted to teach Activity development to children I'd get some
reconditioned desktop computers and install Fedora and Sugar on them. I
have used nothing but reconditioned computers myself for years. It is
amazing to me what you can get reconditioned on Amazon and elsewhere for
around a hundred bucks. This is basically my price range for a "new"
computer, and for that I can get a Lenovo or other quality brand with more
than adequate disk space and memory. These computers are built for use in
offices and have many years of life left in them. In Fedora you can run
Sugar as a desktop environment as well as in a window. You can hook them up
to a TV or a projector (something I remember many people wanted to do with
the XO).

I don't see ASLO being separate from Git as a problem. I think of it like
the production environment at work. If it's good enough to use it goes on
ASLO. If not, it stays in Git, but I might push my code to the central
repository so others could fool around with it.

Part of teach a child programming should be teaching him good work habits,
and I think our current setup promotes that.

James Simmons