[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:52:40 EST 2017

I don't know that we know all of the answers to your questions. Right now,
the code is hardwired to equal temperament so the first task would be to
unwind some of the methods in musicutils.js that determine the note
intervals. Then, ideally, we'd support both a simple block for choosing a
tuning system based on historic norms and perhaps a widget to design your
own tuning system, within some constraints.

A related issue is that the internals are fixed to 12 half-steps per
octave. That might be something else we want to play with, in order, for
example, support some Arabic modes, which use quarter steps.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender