[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] MOTION: French visa for Samson Goddy to attend 10-year Anniversary Scratch Conf / 50-year Anniversary of Logo

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 14 04:52:21 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 07:53:23PM +0100, Samson Goddy wrote:
> Please kind you note where and how i breached those rules?. Why are
> these questions targeted to me only? Why i see people and under
> softwares understand SFC are using facebook anf LinkedIn to promote
> their content.

Let me try to explain.

You are you.  You are not Sugar Labs.  But you will appear, in other
people's eyes, to be Sugar Labs during your trip.  For which,
congratulations, by the way.  So whether you want to or not, you will
appear to represent Sugar Labs.

Now Sugar Labs has an agreement with The Software Freedom Conservancy,
which I've just read through, and Sebastian signed it, and the
agreement requires that the project will be free software (2.b), and
defines free software not in terms of price but in terms of rights to
copy, modify, redistribute, and to improve (B).

Sugar Labs does not and should not promote things that are non-free.

So when you do speak, remember to make it clear to your listeners when
you are speaking on your own behalf or on behalf of Sugar Labs.

You will be two people.

As far as I can see, there's no problem with you-as-you mentioning the
non-free services you use, provided you are careful not to mention
them too much when you-as-sugar-labs are speaking.

I've faced the same problems myself, when speaking at conferences or
meetings.

I've faced the same problem while working for OLPC; how can you know
that this isn't OLPC talking?  Because I say it is me talking.

As for why you, why now; it's because of your trip, and because
Sebastian has made a written promise in that agreement.  It has to do
with long term responsibility and transparency.

Hope that helps.  Have fun!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/