[Sugar-devel] L-earning

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 21:00:33 EDT 2017

Dear Sugar-dev community,

Hello, my name is Charles Cosse and I'm writing to you from Las Cruces, New
Mexico.  I've just traced through Sugarizer-related emails since 2013
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2013-June/thread.html#43440>
in preparation to write to you here.  I also worked with Lionel to develop
a Sugarizer activity
<http://dev.sugarizer.org/activities/ColorMyWorld.activity/index.html> and
presented some other Sugarizer activities
<https://flic.kr/s/aHskVJBdxB> at PyCon
2017 in Portland <https://flic.kr/y/2GSVF7K> a couple weeks ago, ported to
a credit-earning platform <http://netdispenser.github.io>.

Basically, I've developed this system that's pretty foolproof and motivates
kids to make a strong effort during computer activities.  It's a
Raspberry-Pi3 AccessPoint and CreditMeter, all-in-one.  There's also a
central, whitelisted credit-earning website.  Otherwise, kids are
firewalled-in until they use their hard-earned credits to gain full
internet access.  It's nothing profound, but it does work extremely well
and thus should have value for other parents / families out there.
Keyword: value.

As a parent I would have subscribed $10/mo for such capability as provided
by this platform.  And as an activity developer I would have gladly
accepted $5 of that to fund more development.  But hey!  It's just
Sugar(izer) Labs with a "gimmick" in the middle which (1) motivates kids
and (2) provides incentives for new and continued development. In short, it
could be a new kind of fuel.  Maybe even a little green router someday?

The main connection to Sugar Labs (Sugarizer) is that all of those
Sugarizer apps (present and future) could be dual-purposed to work with the
credit-earning subscription system with good effects all around, i.e. value
to parent, compensation to developer, education to kids, community
interaction.  Web apps just need some concept of a goal or a score to reach
in order to earn some configured amount of internet time (credits 1 credit
= 1 second).   I've done this with a few apps now and it's
straightforward.

My motivation is to see this eco-system-around-a-credit-meter concept
actually work.  I want to be one of the developers vying for part of those
subscriptions.  I believe this is one possible way to realize more of the
vast ocean of unrealized potential w.r.t. education software out there.

Would there be any interest among members of this list?

Best regards from New Mexico,
Charles