[Sugar-devel] GSoC project- Sugar on Raspberry Pi image build

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jul 28 19:31:43 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 04:18:59PM -0700, Thomas Gilliard wrote:
> Hi:
> answered in line:
> On 07/28/2017 03:44 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 03:25:36PM -0700, Thomas Gilliard wrote:
> >>Today I tested : *1
> >>1)Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix-RPi3.img
> >>on my Rpi3
> >>wrote sd with cardreader using f26 MSW
> >What is MSW?
> Fedora Media Writer (mediawriter)
>  https://github.com/MartinBriza/MediaWriter/releases

You mean MSW is FMW?  Okay.

> >>expanded 2d partition on 32 GB sd with gparted
> >Why?  Isn't the expansion of the partition automatic on first boot?
> >It should be.  If it isn't, that's an important bug.
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Rpi_2_streach-.png
>
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Rpi2-streach-resized.png

Yeah, I know how to do it thanks.

But why do this?  Isn't the expansion of the partition automatic on
first boot?

> >>boots to color (X) then to f3
> >>wireless works shows AP in f1
> >>used browse to download irc-12.xo from activities
> >>turtleblocks works
> >>2) Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix.img-RPi2.img
> >>on my rpi2
> >>wrote sd with cardreader using f26 MSW
> >>expanded 2d partition on 32 GB sd with gparted
> >>boots to color (X) then to f3
> >>used browse to download irc-12.xo from activities
> >>I do not see turtle blocks in installed applications
> >Is it in list?  f3 ctrl+2  If it isn't, that's an important bug.
> It is not in list in Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix.img-RPi2.img
>  on rpi2
>
> It is in Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix-RPi3.img
>  on rpi3

Thanks, that's an important bug.  It is in one image and not the other.

> >>I am not able to insert a USB and have it mount in the frame.
> >Thanks, that's an important bug.
> >
> >>*1 [1]https://people.sugarlabs.org/rishabh/
> >>Tom Gilliard
> >>satellit
> >>NOTE: the HDMI display exhibits some tearing on the screen in both
> >>instances.
> >Thanks, that's an important bug.
> graphic tearing is tolerable but screen looks like it has an opened soda in
> background

I had to look up soda.

As Rishabh hasn't been changing kernel or graphics drivers, my guess
is that something changed in Debian and Rishabh will have to search in
the Debian bugs for it.

On the other hand, if nobody but you see this, then it is probably
your hardware.  Electrostatic discharge or something.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/