[Sugar-devel] SL GSoC proposal text

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:26:07 EST 2017

As per the request at the SL overight board meeting:  please see the
attached file.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs

GSoC is a great opportunity to both broaden the reach of our community, but also a place to take risks on new ideas that could lead to new directions for the program. For example, for the past two years we mentored a project on programming and music that has turned into a major initiative. GSoC has also been instrumental in helping us reach beyond the desktop onto other platforms, such as Android and Chromium. Plus it is a good way to engage the existing community around these initiatives.
494/1000
How many potential mentors have agreed to mentor this year?
11-15
How will you keep mentors engaged with their students?

We have weekly group meetings and individual meetings between mentor teams and students.
88/1000
How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their projects?

In their proposals, students must present a detailed weekly plan. Each student makes a weekly report at our group meeting. They report what they did, what worked, what didn't, and what is queued up for the next week.
216/1000
How will you get your students involved in your community during GSoC?

We conduct all of our meetings in our public IRC channel. Also, students will send regular blog reports to the community as a whole.
132/1000
How will you keep students involved with your community after GSoC?

We've had great success in keeping students involved (as mentors in GCI, for example.) Because Sugar is a community project, many of our students do local projects as well. Some former GSoC students are also now GSoC mentors.
225/1000
Has your org been accepted as a mentor org in Google Summer of Code before?
Yes
No
Which years did your org participate in GSoC?
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005
For each year your organization has participated, provide the counts of successful and total students. (e.g. 2016: 3/4)

2016: 5/6
2015: 6/6
2014: 9/9
2013: 8/8
39/500
If your org has applied for GSoC before but not been accepted, select the years:
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005
If you are a new organization to GSoC, is there a Google employee or previously participating organization who will vouch for you? If so, please enter their name, contact email, and relationship to your organization. (optional)

0/500
What year was your project started?

2008
Anything else we should know (optional)?

We are a member project of the  Software Freedom Conservancy. We just completed a very successful GCI experience.
113/500

Name

Sugar Labs
Website URL

http://sugarlabs.org
http://www.yourproject.org/
Tagline

We make tools that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect.
74/80
A very short description of your organization.
 UPLOAD LOGO
Your organization logo. Must be a 24-bit PNG, minimum height 256 pixels.
Primary Open Source License
GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPL-3.0)
The open source license that your organization uses.
Organization Category
Programming Languages and Development Tools
Select which category fits your organization best. Some organizations may fit into multiple categories, you must choose one. Used to help students filter the organization list.
Technology Tags
pythonRemove Press delete to remove this chip. javascriptRemove Press delete to remove this chip. gtkRemove Press delete to remove this chip.

Enter a technology tag
3/5
Enter keywords for the primary specific technologies your organization uses. Examples: Python, Javascript, MySQL, Hadoop, OpenGL, Arduino
Topic Tags
learningRemove Press delete to remove this chip. educationRemove Press delete to remove this chip.

Enter a topic tag
2/5
Enter keywords for general topics that describe your organization. Examples: Vision, Robotics, Cloud, Graphics, Web, Real time
Ideas List

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2017
Enter the URL of your Ideas List page. This will be linked from your organization page.
Descriptions

These descriptions will be displayed on the organization list page (Short Description) and on your organization's page (Long Description). More details.

The Long Description may include limited Markdown.

Short Description

We make tools that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect. We encourage our users to appropriate them, taking ownership and responsibility for their learning.
174/180
Long Description

Sugar Labs, a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization, had its origins in the One Laptop Per Child project and is has been a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy since 2008.

At Sugar Labs, we make a collection of tools (Sugar) that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect. We distribute these tools freely and encourage our users to appropriate them, taking ownership and responsibility for their learning.

Sugar is both a desktop and a collection of Activities. Activities, as the name implies, are Apps that involve active engagement from the learner. Activities automatically save results to a journal, where reflections are recorded. Activity instances can be shared between learners; many support real-time collaboration.

* Sugar facilitates sharing and collaboration: Children can write, share books, or make music together with a single mouse-click.
* Activities, not applications: Sugar activities are applicable beyond the scope of the classroom and even Sugar itself.
* Automatic backup of Activity work; no worrying about files or folders. Sugar’s Journal makes it almost impossible to lose any data.
* The Sugar Journal records everything you do: It is a place to reflect upon and evaluate your work.
* Sugar runs on most computer hardware, including slower machines.
* Sugar is Free (Libre) Software: It is written in the Python language and easily customized.
* Sugar is documented by its users: It is easy to use and teachers worldwide have created a wealth of pedagogical materials for it.
* Sugar is largely written and maintained by its users.
* Sugarizer is a fork of Sugar available for tablets and phones.
1641/2000
open_in_new
Proposals

Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a template or tips for their proposals. May include limited Markdown.

Enter tags that students can select (one) from and apply to their own proposals to help organize them. Examples: New Feature, Optimization. You can also use these to designate "sub-organizations" if you are an umbrella organization.

Application Instructions

Welcome to GSoC 2017

Sugar Labs expectations
* We expect you to be playful, inquisitive, and diligent;
* GSoC is a full-time commitment; unless you are prepared to work full time, please do not apply;
* GSoC is a community effort; be prepared to participate in the broader set of Sugar activities, not just your individual project;
* GSoC is only valuable if there is good communication between you, your mentors, and the rest of the community; be prepared to hang out with us on irc.freenode.net #sugar; to meet weekly with all of the GSoC participants; and to communicate daily with your mentors; we also expect a weekly blog about your project.

What to include in your proposal
* a clear statement of "what" you intend to do, including weekly milestones;
* a clear statement of "why" what you intend to do is of value (personally, to the Sugar project, and beyond);
* evidence that you can achieve your stated goals.

For more details, please go to [Sugar Labs GSoC 2017](https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2017).
962/1500
open_in_new
Proposal Tags
sugarRemove Press delete to remove this chip. sugarizerRemove Press delete to remove this chip. pythonRemove Press delete to remove this chip. javascriptRemove Press delete to remove this chip. documentationRemove Press delete to remove this chip. enhancementRemove Press delete to remove this chip. bugfixRemove Press delete to remove this chip. testingRemove Press delete to remove this chip.
+ Add tag
8/10
Contact Methods

You must complete at least one of the following three contact options.

Chat

https://webchat.freenode.net/
Link to a web page that describes how to get on your IRC channel or other realtime communication system.
Mailing List