[Sugar-devel] Building Sugar on Fedora 27

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 06:18:59 EST 2017

Are you running your desktop using Wayland or Xorg?

Fedora 27 use Wayland by default, and in my test, Sugar does not start, but
it worked using Gnome on Xorg

See
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/61g2w8/gnome_classic_gnome_gnome_xorg_on_fedora/

Gonzalo

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Alex Cosmin Mihai <
alexcosmin.mihai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've tried to build Sugar from source code from github repositories in
> order to start working on some bugs, but it just won't work.
>
> I've done a couple of new clean installs of Fedora 27 in order to try
> different methods, but none worked.
>
> I've tried both sugar-build and manually cloning  every repository and
> install every module as is pointed here: https://developer.sugarl
> abs.org/dev-environment.md.html [1].
>
> Installing everything using sugar-build doesn't work. The python script
> crashes and I've tried to edit it, but I still didn't manage to get it
> working. The point is that sugar-build doesn't work as it is on Fedora 27.
> One of the reasons is webkitgtk3 which is not supported anymore by Fedora
> and which was removed from Fedora's repositories.
>
> I did manage to install every module one by one as shown at [1], I believe
> that's because Fedora 27 comes with webkitgtk4, I don't know why it didn't
> give an error again, maybe the modules have been individually updated to
> not ask for webkitgtk3 anymore. But even though I managed to install the
> modules, using Sugar DE doesn't work anymore after installing them. Logging
> in using Sugar does nothing but show a blank screen. Sugar-runner gives
> some errors related to the X server about not finding some symbols. I can't
> open a terminal from the blank screen or anything for that matter.
>
> Sugar DE works on a clean Fedora 27 installation though. I believe that
> there must be some sort of clash between the newer versions of the
> dependencies that are installed when building the project and Sugar DE.
>
> What can I do to start trying to fix bugs? I'm ready to install a
> different distro. What do you use ? Have you encountered these problems
> with Fedora?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Mihai