[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Testing of Activities

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Apr 19 19:46:41 EDT 2017

I believe the plan is that GitHub is the source repository for the
activities and git is used to
maintain version control. Activities are published to ASLO with the
bundles built by setup.py.
As in most uses of git, a new bundle requires the version number to be
incremented with the corresponding git tag.
In this way, earler versions could be recreated as needed to reproduce
reported problems.

How to handle activities across the different supported environments
needs discussion. For the XO, the primary issue was storage
space. The current technique is to provide binaries for the supported
platforms with a software test in the activity to determine where it
is being run. This is elegant but expands the size of the bundle. In one
case, I saw that the 32 bit binaries took 15MB and the 64 bit binaries took
30MB. On the other hand, it is likely that newer platforms will not be
storage limited.

There are two forms of activities: Python and Web. In general these will
run on all systems. The problem is the use of binary modules (often
compiled C code).

The more serious problem is the changing content of Sugar itself. Many
activities currently fail because Sugar no longer includes modules such
as hulahop or abiword. The developers would like all activities to be
ported from GTK2 to GTK3 to reduce the duplicate code included in Sugar.
However, there are currently over 300 activities in ASLO that would need
to be converted.

Tony