[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Sachithra Dangalla sachithradangalla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:21:01 EDT 2017

Just to be clear, is it something like this?

[image: Inline image 2]

Regards,

*Sachithra Dangalla,*
Undergraduate B.Sc.Eng.(Hons.)
University of Moratuwa,
Sri Lanka.

<https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SachithraDangalla93>
<https://lk.linkedin.com/in/sachithradangalla>
<https://comexile.blogspot.com>

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> I am not sure we have any example of three argument blocks right now, but
> we could add them (the underlying code is there.)
>
> -walter
>
> On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Sachithra Dangalla <
> sachithradangalla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The number representation is clear and I think that is a good approach.
>>
>> Just to be clear, as you said,
>>

>>> *0 and 1 can could also represent a larger or smaller interval than
>>> equaltemperament as long as -1<0<1<2<3<4<etc...*
>>

>> In the above, what does -1 mean? I'm assuming it's a condition to check
>> if any number should be greater than -1. Is that so?
>>

>> Regarding the mockups:
>>
>> I think it is better to go with your designs. But I'm a bit confused
>> about the 3-arg blocks. In the Github issue #485
>> <https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/485> [1], the
>> comment suggesting 3-arg blocks
>> <https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/485#issuecomment-274295496>[2]
>> discusses that dropping in multiple things has to be avoided. And that's
>> why I used the arg-type blocks in my mockups.
>>
>> [image: Inline image 2]
>>

>> I believe the following is an arg block, can you tell me what a 3-arg
>> block is?
>>
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> [1] - https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/485
>> [2] - https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/485#
>> issuecomment-274295496
>>
>> *Sachithra Dangalla,*
>> Undergraduate B.Sc.Eng.(Hons.)
>> Department of Computer Science & Engineering,
>> University of Moratuwa,
>> Sri Lanka.
>>
>> <https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SachithraDangalla93>
>> <https://lk.linkedin.com/in/sachithradangalla>
>> <https://comexile.blogspot.com>
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Devin Ulibarri <devin at ulibarri.website>
>> wrote:

>>> Walter and I are still talking it over, but my idea is to basically use
>>> pitch number as a layer of abstraction to facilitate half-steps,
>>> intervals, and modes.
>>>
>>> For example, the distance between 0 and 1 can represent the distance of
>>> any two pitches (first is lower and second is higher).
>>>
>>> For equal temperament *that* distance is called a "half step" that is
>>> defined by certain frequencies. A "half step" is also the name a type of
>>> interval.
>>>
>>> 0 and 1 can could also represent a larger or smaller interval than equal
>>> temperament as long as -1<0<1<2<3<4<etc...
>>>
>>> And modes are different geometries of various intervals.
>>>
>>> So we could have:
>>>
>>> 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12
>>>
>>> ...which could represent an equal temperament (Major) scale--Dorian
>>> mode. Or it could represent another collection of frequencies entirely.
>>>
>>> ---------Above pitch number layer of abstraction-------------
>>>
>>> Above pitch number layer of abstraction, we can map names to those
>>> 0 = Do, C
>>> 1 = Do#, C#, Reb, Db
>>> 2 = Re, D