[Sugar-devel] GCI and our build environment

Utkarsh Tiwari iamutkarshtiwari at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 16:01:33 EST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar-Build
To: "Nguyen, Lam" <nguyenla at dickinson.edu>

G'day,

Browse is a critical part of Sugar, so to exclude it from
sugar-build does not seem to be a good long term solution.

Many fixes have been proposed, but none have gained community support.
Perhaps because the fixes have been wrong, and have not solved the
underlying problem.

Please confirm by your own research my theory below.

The problem was caused by a commit to the Browse repository that
introduced a Git Submodule (fb62edc), without a corresponding commit
to sugar-build or sugar-toolkit-gtk3 to support submodules and
recursive clones.

If my theory is true, an alternative is to revert the commit to
Browse, removing the submodule and replacing it with a copy of the
files from the collabwrapper repository.

You might test the theory by:

1.  cloning the Browse repository and reverting the commit,

2.  editing your module.json to use your clone of Browse,

3.  re-running sugar-build from a fresh clone.

As for myself, I build Sugar as Fedora or Debian packages and apply
these to my systems, rather than use sugar-build.  sugar-build is not
used when Sugar is a primary desktop environment; it is only a
development aid for people who do not need to make packages.

Disclosure: I'm paid by One Laptop per Child.

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 01:52:55AM +0000, Nguyen, Lam wrote:
> Hi Sugar developers,
>
> The issue that Walter brought up had been discussed before. The fix for
this
> issue can be found here [1]http://www.mail-archive.com/
> sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org/msg42561.html
> I was thinking of changing the installation instruction on [2]
> developer.sugarlabs.org to include this fix as a common issue. What I
wondered
> is that should we permanently remove the lines that caused the error from
the
> file /build/module.json? Would there be any consequence to permanently
removing
> these lines?
>
> {
> >> "name": "browse",
> >> "repo": "[3]https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity.git";,
> >> "clean_stamp": 1
> >> },
>
> Best,
> Lam
>
>     On Oct 30, 2016, at 9:20 AM, Walter Bender <[4]walter.bender at gmail.com
>
>     wrote:

md.html#run
>     On build i got and error, but i still tried running but got an error
as
>     well. I have shared part of the error with the image.
>
>     <on build.png><on run.png>
>     In the website, it said to check the relay chat to share problems but
>     wasn't sure if I should be taking this problem there so I thought I
should
>     first share it with you. Thanks and sorry in advance.
>
>     --
>     Walter Bender
>     Sugar Labs
>     [8]http://www.sugarlabs.org
>     [9]

> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.
org/msg42561.html
> [2] http://developer.sugarlabs.org/
> [3] https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity.git%22
> [4] mailto:walter.bender at gmail.com
> [5] mailto:rhemon19 at gmail.com
> [6] mailto:walter.bender at gmail.com
> [7] https://developer.sugarlabs.org/dev-environment.md.html#run
> [8] http://www.sugarlabs.org/
> [9] http://www.sugarlabs.org/
> [10] mailto:Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/

Ütkarsh Tiwari

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What with Google Code In beginning in two weeks, we are about to get
> bombarded with questions from people struggling with the build system. It
> has recently been pointed out that building browse is causing problems
> again. I imagine there may be other problems as well, for example, when
> building on non-Fedora-based systems.
>
> It would be really helpful if you could take the time to do some testing
> of the build system on various platforms and post recommendations in the
> wiki for any necessary workarounds. (We can also use process to generate
> some GCI tasks to improve the robustness of the build system.)
>
> Would be good to post results here. We can summarize the results in
> developer.sl.o once we accumulate some data.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -walter
>
> --
> Walter Bender