[Sugar-devel] Google Code In 2016

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:19:45 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Walter
>
> Currently for GSOC and GCI, we tell applicants to create a development
> environment. I think that is a mistake. One of the great strengths of Sugar
> is that it is it's own development environment. For example, the design of
> Sugar is that Browse as an activity can be installed directly as an xo
> bundle with a version number independent of the Sugar version number. This,
> of course, has two advantages - a new version of Browse can be used on
> earlier versions of Sugar and the release of Sugar provides the ability to
> execute Sugar activities but is not dependent on them.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here re GCI. We have
introductory tasks for setting up either the Sugar developer environment,
installing from Sugar on a Stick, or installing the Sugarizer environment.
Not sure how at least most coding tasks can proceed without one of those.
Of course, some activities, e.g. the Python version of Turtle Blocks can
run without Sugar and the individual JS apps can run in a browser, but what
does that have to do with the example you cited? Could you please clarify?

> GCI can be a great opportunity to develop a Sugar release which can be
> installed on standard PCs and supported by Sugar Labs.  Possibly a Debian
> release supported by Sugar Labs would be most flexible. In this case there
> ctHould also be SD card images which work on models of the Raspberry Pi.
> Such a release could be enhanced by users working independently and then
> submitting their working changes for incorporation in future official
> releases.

Do you mean a Windows PC? Getting a full Sugar running native in Windows is
a bigger task than we can ask for in GCI. If you mean running on PC
hardware, doesn't Sugar on a Stick or yum install Sugar on Ubuntu already
do this?

That said, Alan got Turtle Blocks running in Windows. (I haven't tested it
since I don't have access to a Windows box.) Maybe we could have tasks for
doing the same for more activities?

regards.

-walter

> Tony
>

> On 11/07/2016 10:25 AM, Walter Bender wrote:
>
> Great news. Sugar Labs was once again accepted as one of the organizations
> participating in Google Code In.
>
> We have a few weeks to prepare. If you are interested in being a mentor,
> please contact me and also please sign up at
> <https://codein.withgoogle.com>https://codein.withgoogle.com
>
> If you have project/task ideas, please send them my way or add them to the
> wiki page at https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Google_Code_In_2016#This_
> is_a_stub_for_25.2B_example_tasks_new_for_GCI_2016.
>
> As always, I am very much looking forward to GCI.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> --
> Walter Bender