[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon May 30 12:38:56 EDT 2016

Hi

On 30 May 2016 at 00:00, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> I am not sure I understand your reference to 'cheapest computers'.

The cheap computers of any year are always much slower, have less RAM, etc
etc, than median computers of that year.

> As far as I can tell, the Raspberry Pi Zero is a scam.

I didn't understand this at all, but after some web searches, I guess you
mean that (per
http://betanews.com/2015/12/17/the-5-dollar-raspberry-pi-zero-is-too-damn-expensive/)
the Pi Zero requires a bunch of peripherals that bring the Total Cost of
Ownership up to the same as a regular Pi.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

> The pocketchip illustrates
> the problem with the Raspberry Pi. Once you add the components needed to
> make a useful, deployable computer - the cost is greater than that of
> an XO.

I still don't understand this, though. What do you think the cost of an XO
is, and what do you think the cost of a Pi is, and what do you think the
cost of a PocketCHiP is?

> I have yet to see a computer on the market that offers the capabilities of
> the XO for olpc deployments.

Are XOs on the market?

> On a separate note. I looked at the Vision proposal. It certainly deserves
> a close look. However, I tried to find out what are 'best practices' only
> be shown a perfect example of very bad practice. I followed a series of
> links only to find not one explained what a best practice is or who decides
> on
> what is 'best'. I hope we can do a better job of documentation than that.

I agree the link wasn't totally clear, so I added a direct link to the page
to https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org/

--
Cheers
Dave