[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun May 29 22:36:37 EDT 2016

Hi

I want to return to this older thread because of James Cameron's comment in
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/688#issuecomment-222393275 :

On the assumption that Sugar Labs is dropping support for XO-1, I'll close
this pull request. Thanks for your time!

But I understood from Tony and Adam in this thread that Sugar Labs _should_
keep support for the XO-1 as a goal. Adam said,

In Haiti XO-1s will be dominant across many schools for years and year to
come.  Similar to Tony's description, but these typically will be using
32GB SD cards -- thankfully these are incredibly affordable. The
resilience/repairability of the XO-1 laptops is the absolutely fascinating
part.

I think this goal is wise because it ensures that Sugar runs well on the
cheapest computers - like the $10 getchip.com/pages/pocketchip and $5
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero - and ensures
performance is only better on later XO models and 'regular'
desktops/laptops.

I edited https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vision_proposal_2016 to reflect
this.

Cheers