[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Instant palette popdown - a usability improvement

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat May 28 09:09:03 EDT 2016

I don't know. The current hover-to-open is very confusing to new users.
It is particularly annoying when the menu disappears while you are trying
to move the cursor to it. Using clicks makes opening the menu persistent
until another click rather than dependent on the cursor position.

I am still a fan of the original Sugar UI in which the primary operation
was to click on an icon. This also significantly reduces the dependence
on translation
since young learners quickly remember the icons and what they are for.

If tooltips were used for the hover, the user could get the name of an
activity before clicking. This is one discrete piece of information
rather than a
complex set of information.

I think the Journal should be less integrated to the Home View. An
activity is a tool. Launching an activity is taking the tool from the
box. The Journal
is where work-in-progress or completed-work is stored. The user easily
understands to start a new project, open in the Home View. To resume a
work-in-progress, click on the object in the Journal. The 'save as' and
'screenshot' features help by having the user name the project so it can
be quickly found
in the Journal.

Currently, it is very helpful that the icon of the activity which will
be launched from the Journal is shown. If it is correct the user has
only to click on the icon.
If a different activity is needed (e.g. a screenshot to be modified in
Paint), the user right-clicks on the icon and selects the paint activity.

The buttons in Google and Firefox essentially take up as much of the
screen as desired. This gives the freedom to show larger icons and use
larger
fonts.

Tony