[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri May 27 09:03:09 EDT 2016

Hi

On 27 May 2016 at 08:59, Devin Ulibarri <devin at ulibarri.website> wrote:

> Notice from the ethics article that one big deal with GitHub is it
> allows developers to upload code without a license (thus being
> proprietary by default, even though we can all see the code).

I don't think a default libre license would be wise; for a start, which
one?

I've seen PLENTY of projects intend to be licensed as X but accidentally
adding license Y to the repo and then just updating the file, so the old
license is there in the git history.

As a start, I think we should push on GitHub to discourage this practice.

Licensing is serious stuff and I think its self-defeating for the movement
to make people less conscious of it by offering easy defaults :)

--
Cheers
Dave