[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Yash Agarwal agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 17:50:23 EDT 2016

Thanks for the feedback Dave!
I've made the changes to the proposal
<https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/latest-proposal> as per
your comments

I need help/advice regarding a few things:
I'm going to ask them here and then make a compiled blog post in a
question-answer format once we sort them out. IMHO this will be a better
way to document this.

[WORKING WITH FONTS INSIDE SUGAR]
I found much of the info regarding loading fonts and using them to format a
text string in Gonzalo
Odiard's
 code
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/blob/master/activity.py>
(which
was a great read :D) . But this Activity only lists the current fonts in
the system and to make a proper font manager I need to know the following:

   1. Where are fonts stored in sugar and what format they are stored in?
   2. How to install/uninstall (or Activate/Deactivate) fonts both at
   runtime Activity(if we can) and externally(using Ubuntu)?
   3. if we are going to make collections of fonts and marking some fonts
   as favorites where should these setting be saved?

[MAKING A GLYPH PICKER INTERFACE]
**A grid layout of all the Glyphs within a font like this
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/gh-pages/files/img/3.png>
 **

   1. How should we render the Glyphs in the boxes, using Gtk-Cairo or
   through Pango which will require the font to be installed as a .ttf maybe?

[MAKING A GLYPH EDITING INTERFACE]
**A drawing area where we can edit the Glyphs within a font like this
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/gh-pages/files/img/4.png>
 **

   1. Should the Glyphs be rendered in this using Cairo?
   2. if yes then should I write my own method for this or is there
   something inbuilt in Cairo or a 3rd party lib for reading ufo3's
   .glif files?

I found these links quite useful for getting started with Cairo

   - http://www.tortall.net/mu/wiki/CairoTutorial
      - http://zetcode.com/gfx/pycairo/basicdrawing/

[regarding the way FONTS ARE MODELED in UFOv3
<http://unifiedfontobject.org/versions/ufo3/index.html>]

   1. why do we need multiple layers in a font?(to store multiple
   families..?)
   2. why do we need to group glyphs? (is it only for Kearning?)
   3. why do we need the image files?(are they used to render the glyphs?)

regards,
Yash Agarwal