[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SLOB Motions A & B

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu May 19 08:02:04 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:18 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> I think motion A could be simplified:
>
> The Finance Manager shall be appointed by a majority vote of the Sugar
> Labs Oversight Board and may be either a non-voting officer or one of the
> current Oversight Board members. The Finance Manager will serve at the will
> of the Board and may be removed and replaced by a majority vote of the
> Board if necessary.

> The Oversight Board shall appoint a member of Sugar Labs to serve in the
> office of *Finance Manager* at the will of the Board.
>
> The last two paragraphs can be deleted. The last paragraph is redundant
> given the Finance Manager serves at the will of the Board. The
> paragraph regarding remuneration is unnecessary since the Board can
> clearly make decisions about remuneration as needed (which is basically
> wha the paragraph says).
>
> I think Motion B is unnecessary. The procedure with regard to the
> Conservancy is already defined (and apparently not under our control).
>
> Add to Motion A: duties:
>
> 3. The Finance Manager is authorized to approve expenditures up to $100
> Requests for expenditures will be presented to the Board by the
> Finance Manager for approval.
>
> Most of the rest is implicit in Motion A duties item 1.

I agree with Tony. But I would like to extend the approval of these types
of expenditures to others as well. We had approved Bernie up to $200 for
infrastructure team expenditures (MOTION 2011-04) and I thought we had
intended the same for Chris in regard to i18n (MOTION 2013-05) and me
regarding Turtle Art Days (MOTION 2016-09). I'd like to give similar
discretion to, for example, the marketing team. But I don't know how to
make these decisions sticky vis-a-vis the reporting requirements of the
Conservancy. They seem to want a full oversight board vote on every
expenditure. Unless we can sort that out, the FM authorization proposed in
#3 above is meaningless.

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs