[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Project: Journal Rethink discussion

sam at sam.today sam at sam.today
Sun May 8 06:11:50 EDT 2016

Hi All,

This is a very interesting project, and is a *very large change* to how
we'll interact with the journal.  *Please join the design discourse*

I think that the idea of providing a way of sorting learning into
"mini-journals" is very helpful.  Users can make a mini-journal for a
unit of work in school, an assignment/project or a group activity that
a teacher is running.

I think it is also quite natural.  Currently the journal is like one
big box; you put everything in and search for it later.  Abhijit's
proposal makes the journal into a collection of boxes - one box for
each project.  I swear that you physically do this in real life at
times.

Another element of the proposal is forcing people to put every activity
in a mini-journal/"box".  I think this is a nice way to address journal
clutter; you have a box of random stuff for each project rather than a
huge box with too much random stuff.

The 2nd element of Abhijit's feature is the collaboration.  You can
share your box with other people; useful for doing group projects.
Your friends can add photos, type more on the "Report" write document,
or whatever.  I think that this makes the collab system very
conceptually simple for us as users.

Technically, the collab will be quite challenging.  While Sugar has a
collab system when users are in activities ("online" sync), there is
not yet a system to sync when the users are not active in the activity
("offline" sync).  We can probably get a system that works in good
times (when every user is online and connected), but I think that we
will focus on adding conflict resolution UI for when things get out of
sync.

Thanks,
Sam