[Sugar-devel] [SLOB] GSoC mentor stipend motion

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat May 7 11:11:37 EDT 2016

(1) I did second the motion as I think it deserves consideration, but as a
potential beneficiary, I don't think I should vote.
(2) I don't really understand the differences intended by the revised
process suggested by Tony or the revised wording suggested by Sebastian. My
intent was that the funds from Google ("mentor stipends" or "payments
for mentoring")
billed through the "vendor" (in our case the SFC) be made available to the
mentors as opposed to be relegated to the general funds. In the case that
they are in the hands of the mentors, it is the mentors who can determine
how to spend the money. In the latter case, it is the oversight board. The
details as to how to execute this, I leave to our liaison with the SFC to
figure out.

FWIW, what I intend to do with the stipend if I have unilateral access to
it is to use it to buy hardware for the Nigerian i18n project. I will have
to pay taxes on that money, so it is more efficient to spend it through the
SFC umbrella, but I don't have unilateral ability to do that with general
Sugar Labs funds.

-walter

--
Walter Bender