[Sugar-devel] [SLOB] GSoC mentor stipend motion

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:49:29 EDT 2016

At today's Sugar Labs oversight board meeting [1], we discussed the motion
submitted by Sebastian Silva to allow the mentors participating in Google
Summer of Code to disperse the mentor stipend among themselves as they see
fit. I second the motion and bring it to you in an email vote.

Background: Every year, Google provides mentoring organizations with a
stipend for the mentors. In our first year of participation in the program,
Sugar Labs mentors agreed to have the stipend directed to the Sugar Labs
general funds. We have followed the same procedure in subsequent years.
This year, however, several mentors asked if they could have access to the
stipends (which are allocated per student internship). We discussed this at
the meeting and agreed that it would be appropriate to offer these funds as
compensation and thanks to the mentors for their time and expertise (there
were no objections raised). We need to vote on this however, since the
funds are given to the mentoring organization, not the individual mentors.

Members of the oversight board, please reply to this email solicitation for
a vote on the following motion. (Note that since I am a mentor, I think I
must recuse myself from the vote.)

Motion: to allow the mentors participating in Google Summer of Code to
disperse the mentor stipend among themselves as they see fit.

regards.

-walter

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2016-05-06

--