[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] Font Editor: thoughts on UI/UX

Eli Heuer eliheuer at gmail.com
Mon May 2 11:28:22 EDT 2016

I'll be spending some time this week thinking about the UI/UX for the font
editor activity and I'm inviting everyone involved to share their ideas
here as well.

A good starting point is the core ideas from the human interface guidelines(
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines). Particularly,
I'm interested in how we can make this an activity, not an application.

Font editor applications like TruFont, Robofont, Glyphs, etc. assume a high
level of understanding of what a font is and how one is made. Per the HIG
we need to keep in mind our users are inexperienced, young and
international.

One example of software with the UI/UX feel I would like to see is the
original Kid Pix for the black and white Macintosh. You can read about it
here: (http://red-green-blue.com/kid-pix-the-early-years), or use it with
an emulator here: (https://jamesfriend.com.au/pce-js/).

Also, is there an easy way we could include Logo(Turtle) scripting? If not
that, some way users can make fun generative fonts on their first try?