[Sugar-devel] List of activities on ASLO

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Mar 12 04:08:07 EST 2016

Hi Tony,
I find we often we do similar things with different approach. This is
always good as I think it confirms we have similar observations from the
field (from accross the globe!).

 From 2011 to 2014 Alsroot and I, developed the Sugar Network, with
UI/concept design and also resource planning from Laura.
The goal was to broaden access / replace the ASLO Library (among other,
more ambitious goals).
For this, among other things, Alsroot developed an API that would allow
to query (and feed!) the ASLO Library... eventually even replace it.

The docs for the API are here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network/API

For instance, it is possible to get the list of activities thus:
http://node.sugarlabs.org/context?type=activity&offset=0

Change the offset to get all 470 entries, hard limit on server. I don't
think this is synchronizing with ASLO but it was designed to do so.

We could not spark interest either with Sugar Labs or with any other
deployment, and eventually the Ministry of Education of Peru lost
interest in supporting the project. However I would be very happy if
Alsroot's obssesively polished work could be used for much more. In Peru
this continues to be used and deployed (and visible with the web
frontend at http://network.sugarlabs.org/ ). Laura continues to monitor
and admin the contents provided by the children, as well as monitor
statistics. I have stopped developing it because I see direct way to
deploy a better user experience (yet). However the dream of a Sugar
Doers Network lives on.

A short intro (spanish only) to the intended usage (with Sugar shell
integration) is here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xrapcp
(this is an early version 0.2 - last one was 0.9).

A revisiting of these ideas should be a priority for Sugar Labs, IMHO.

Regards,
Sebastian

El 12/03/16 a las 00:57, Tony Anderson escibiĆ³: