[Sugar-devel] GSoC'16 || Redesign ad Recreate Sugar Labs Webappearance

Akshit Kumar akshitkumar100 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 03:27:51 EST 2016

Hi all,

After mailing the potential mentor for this project and getting his reply,
I started tweaking with the repo of the sugarlabs website on github [1]. I
started off working on a flat bootstrap theme - Flatly and ported the
sugarlabs website to it(around 95%). After reading the Project description
on wiki, I came to certain conclusions about the project:
1. Need of a uniform design across all the sugar labs websites.
2. Need of reduced number of framework for all the websites.

Also after reading this thread [2] on the mailing list, I found the ideas
suggested by Sam and James very important which should be incorporated -
especially the point about making the website available to people with low
internet bandwidth.
On the thread I also came across this point by Sam :

*Maybe making a
*>* better native app to do the sugar-on-a-stick creation, and creating an email
*>* mini-course that we introduce people to sugar with could be a
great project?*

It seems very interesting and something Sugar Labs could benefit off
of, could you please elaborate on this point - especially the point of
make an email mini-course.

You can find my version of the sugarlabs website demo here [3]. Please
give your inputs as to how can I approach this project - what are some
additional features we can incorporate and what is the present scope
of the project?

[1] https://github.com/walterbender/www-sugarlabs

[2] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2016-March/051569.html

[3] https://github.com/AkshitKumar/www-sugarlabs-demo