[Sugar-devel] trac breakage

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Mar 8 17:08:11 EST 2016

That's a configuration problem, made worse with inaction.

Fix is two steps;

1.  enable the parole question on account creation, see
https://dev.laptop.org/register for an example, and attached patch
against 1.0.1,

2.  delete the spam users using direct access to database, or delete
all users and ask people to re-register (much lower cost),

trac upstream probably has other solutions.

I've checked, trac is maintained upstream.  New releases continue and
are packaged in Ubuntu;

- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty has trac 1.0.1, being used at OLPC,
- Ubuntu 14.10 Vivid has trac 1.0.2,
- Ubuntu 15.04 Wily has trac 1.0.8,
- Ubuntu 15.10 Xenial has trac 1.0.9, being used at Sugar Labs,

If Sugar Labs can't bring resources to bear on the problem, I'm fine
with discarding trac and using GitHub issues.

I'm fine with losing all open tickets, though that would not be
pleasant because we have many references in git history, Wiki, and
mailing list archives.

Tickets aren't used in the release process as far as I can tell, and
they are obviously a point of difficulty for new contributors.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/